Feb 3, 2016

Why Hitting UNFOLLOW Is The Best Thing For You


When I first began writing, I had to follow every single blogger I could find. I loved seeing their feeds grow, seeing their pictures and becoming envious of their lifestyle. How did they afford such glamorous outfits, gorgeous makeup and homes? I’m barely scrapping by with a full time job and an extremely energetic toddler. I suddenly was jealous of this fake life they were putting on social media for the world to see how great they were. I’d wish I could have the same life.

Then suddenly, I woke up in the middle of the night and thought why on earth should I be jealous of people I don’t even know? You’re getting mad for no reason at all because you have a great life with a supportive husband, a beautiful daughter and a loving home to decorate your way. Without a second thought, I took those friends and hit the unfollow button. Suddenly I felt a huge relief wash over me. I didn’t have to see their feed anymore. It was incredible just how one tiny little button could make you feel so much better.

If your feed is causing you unnecessary anxiety, worry or any sort of comparison; my advice is to unfollow. And follow those that uplift you. That make you feel good. that you can relate too. I’ve met so many amazing woman and men through just a few clicks of a ‘like’ and commenting on their Instagram or Facebook and suddenly it’s like I don’t know how we could not have chatted sooner. By getting rid of unwanted feed you’re not inspired or encouraged to be yourself. You have a light too! Make it shine bright by those surrounding you! And who knows, maybe it’ll allow you to see your true potential, your true self, your true worth.

post signature

20 comments:

  1. YES! I recently went through my feeds on all my social media and unfollowed a bunch of people who I didn't like anymore and who I felt were just really not real. It felt so good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES!! I recently did the same too and it felt wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this!! It could not be more true. Which means I need to take this advice and start unfollowing some... blogging should be all about inspiration and encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree! If a blog doesn't make me excited to read it or inspire me in some way it is not worth my time. I already lead a full busy life so I don't have time for things that make me feel bad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree I did the same when I first started. Now I try to only read/comment/share things from bloggers that I truly enjoy

    ReplyDelete
  6. So very true. I don't have time in my life for uninspiring things.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So very true. I would get sad that I didn't take these AMAZING perfect photos and my life seemed chaotic compared to theirs. But unfollowing is the best advice.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had to do this too. I would look at these feeds and think those same kind of thoughts. I also had to stop following some blogs just because it gave me a feeling of discontentment and that isn't what I want in my life. Thanks for saying the things no one else wants to say but we all feel!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I definitely think we feel the need to "follow" every single person following us but I have quickly learned to take a quick look over their feed and just see if there is anything that would have drawn me to them to begin with. If not...I'm not folowing. Too many people in my feed mean I don't see those peeps I really do want to see. I know people who have the app that tells them when someone unfollows...why...if they don't want to follow me then I don't want them following me...right?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Agreed! I did this a year ago and felt so much better... I was getting horribly envy (mostly about people's huge McMansion houses while we were living in a tiny townhouse) so I had to just let some blogs/IG feeds go. Now I try and only follow people who keep it real. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great advice! That's why I included "rough draft" into the title of my blog. I am so far from perfect and so many people do things better than me, but I love sharing my thoughts and ideas that work for me! Great post, as always!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was just thinking this the other day! I'm new at blogging and just can't get over how all these bloggers have designer everything and strictly blog! One day, one day! Thanks for this!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a great post and 100% true! I'm really guilty of being envious when it comes to friends on Facebook, and I need to make sure the green monster doesn't rear it's ugly head!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I recently unfollowed a blog friend of mine on Instagram. She is a SAHM and posts a lot of photos of her with her smiling kids during the day, and it was making me feel jealous of her and sad for myself, so I unfollowed. Nothing personal at all! But it really was affecting me to see that, and now it's better for me, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I unfollow people at least once a week. Sometimes people that showcase prettier pictures makes me "jealous". But then you have to think about it, it's a great way to motivate yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Cait,

    Thanks for the encouragement! "The perfect life" seems to be all over social media these days. Thanks for being genuine and for the reminder that it's not real life!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Back to Top