Feb 29, 2016

The Happiness Project Book Review

Hello and welcome to a super sunny Monday here in Georgia. I think the temps are going to be hitting 70 today which is crazy and also sad for someone whose in an office building all day. Our relaxing weekend turned into a huge DIY weekend with Zach tackling our deck Saturday and Sunday. It was needing a lot of TLC since we moved in this past October and I'm happy to report that after hours of sanding, tearing out old carpet and putting in new screens, it's 90% finished! I'll share pictures with you all soon or if you follow along on my Snapchat, you saw a few of the moments ha.

Anyone else watch The Oscars last night? I admit I ended up falling asleep around 10:30 because Zach and I were so tired from the weekend but I was hoping to find out if Leo won and eeeeks, he did. My heart strings swoon a little too much for that man and bring back so many memories of 5th grade and hanging pictures of him in my room. Guilty. Onto a busy day and sharing my review of our first book club novel, The Happiness Project.

Gretchen Rubin had an epiphany one rainy afternoon in the unlikeliest of places: a city bus. "The days are long, but the years are short," she realized. "Time is passing, and I'm not focusing enough on the things that really matter." In that moment, she decided to dedicate a year to her happiness project. 
In this lively and compelling account, Rubin chronicles her adventures during the twelve months she spent test-driving the wisdom of the ages, 

When I first began the book I was initially exited because so many of you have said great things about the novel being that it was a part memoir and part self- help. How inspiring and personal Gretchen gets with her readers because ultimately everyone just wants to be happier in their life. I really enjoyed the small points she would make throughout her 12 month journey of bettering herself. Plus, this girl does a lot of research and I found myself laughing or intrigued by her tid bits of information she’d sneak in ( like how a 6 second hug is enough to reduce stress! ). 

I appreciate that she tackles such a simple but complex question of Is it possible to become a happier person ? Is it a meaningful and worthwhile goal? She ends up coming to the conclusion that while we may have a happiness set point and a great deal of our mood can be determined by that to some degree, its under our own control. Ultimately happiness is a universal want, a motivational goal that we strive to perfect day in and day out. 

Gretchen is a really likeable woman. I appreciated that while her being honest of having a good life already as it was with a loving husband, 2 kids and a lovely home, she still craved more and more happiness at that. She does tend to nag about herself and crave praise which automatically gave me a personal realization that I am the same way. I always want a gold star and need to control my nagging behavior as well. It gave me a great sense of reflection of how I not only store happiness myself but give it to others and what I want to do to improve my own happiness. 

While this book can be pretty controversial for many, I would recommend reading it with an open mind.  Gretchen includes a guide for those who want to construct their own happiness plans and directs readers to tools on her website as well. If you’re looking for an engaging, hopeful and encouraging read to start your journey to your own happiness project, this book is key. I can’t wait to read what you all thought of the novel as well! 


If you decide to share your review please use #CaitsCozyBookClub on any post like Instagram, Twitter or Facebook :) 

What did you all think of the novel?
Make sure to vote for our book club
in March! 

post signature

4 comments:

  1. I enjoy that she loves research so much and offers so many little facts and info! A girl after my own heart! I realized after reading that I too like to receive gold stars for my efforts and also need to reduce my nagging. Thanks for hosting! I enjoyed writing a review and sharing my thoughts on the book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is on my bookshelf, but I haven't had a chance to read it yet. I guess I need to get myself motivated and actually pick it up!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book sounds so lovely. Happiness is contagious and when people try to spread it, it really goes around without much of a struggle.

    Noor | Noor's Place

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't even heard of this book! I'm going to go check it out now. Thanks for sharing! Also, new follower here!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Back to Top