Feb 4, 2016

I Hoard Memories..And That's Ok



I’m a hoarder of memories. I love sentimental things and I keep almost everything. When I mean almost everything I truly mean, everything. I have yearbooks dating back to Elementary School. I have old Bulls tickets from when I went to basketball games. I have notes from old boyfriends dating back to my sophomore year of high school. I have a Tiffany ring my senior high school boyfriend gave me before he broke up with me 3 months later to go to college.  I have the first Christmas gift my husband, a necklace, gave me when we were only 21 years old.

I hold onto these things like tokens. My past and my present combined. Obviously several of these past things are just that, in my past. So why still hold onto them? My husband doesn’t get mad if I wear that old ring that was meant for a different promise, or looking back at my old diaries I used to write down when I was 8 years old. I have a stuffed animal that I on occasion still sleep with because a family friend gave it to me when I was 2 and extremely sick with pneumonia. I can’t bring myself to get rid of it. I should, to clear the clutter and realize that the past is obviously staying in the past.

Of course I have new things to hold onto like my daughter’s picture’s that she brings home from school, photographs of her birthday parties and old clothes she used to wear when we first brought her home. It’s so hard to see she’s growing up so fast and too quickly. I realize I  may not be the only one who holds onto to sentimental items being small or large. I enjoy going down memory lane at times and remembering that if I hadn’t had that moment that it wouldn’t have brought me to the next, or the next, or even right now.

Yes, I think I’ll keep holding onto these memories and treasures a little longer to share them with my daughter and one day, to hers if I'm lucky.

Do you hold onto memories?
What's your greatest treasure?


post signature

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for stopping by my blog yesterday!

    I've been in a huge de-cluttering phase & part of my conundrum is what to do with the memories. Some are easy to toss, things that when I see I can't remember why I kept them at all. But some are harder to toss. Notes I wrote in HS or ticket stubs from concerts I loved. I still don't know if I'll keep them or pitch them, or just pare them down. But for now, they're stuffed in a corner waiting for another day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm queen of hanging on to things for sentimental reasons. I'm trying to be better about deciding what to keep and what to toss.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm pretty sure that I still have a box filled with all of the ticket stubs from the movies and events I went to in high school, and all of my stuffed animals that I had growing up. Sometimes those items are just too precious to get rid of. I did start throwing some things away, but only after I've scanned them into my computer so I can add them to our family yearbook for the year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I still have the 3 stuffed animals that I grew up with and had from the day I was born. I hope I can pass them onto my kids one day. Well, at least that's the excuse I give myself to hold onto them ;) I have a bunch of stuff that my mama had too, before she passed. Like the dress she always used to wear is hanging in my closet, or her senior picture necklace that I now wear all the time. Things like that are just too close to my heart to EVER get rid of.

    Such an interesting topic. I love how real you are with these harder questions!

    Rachel at thefashionistahousewife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used to keep everything! I have since pared down, but I still have a few boxes full of things. I just love looking back on the memories! And my favorite/oldest stuffed animal is still with me today.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Back to Top