Jan 5, 2016

Why I'm NOT Making A Goal This Year But Instead Doing This


For the past few years I’ve really been trying to set goals for myself. Some years I set goals that are big like ‘saving money up for a big trip’ which I did end up achieving traveling abroad with my sister for a month. Some years I set manageable goals like ‘work out 3 times a week’ which usually ends up going really well in the beginning but by mid May I make some awful excuse not to get there.

This year, I decided instead of making a list of goals which I honestly wouldn’t achieve, I wanted to do something different. This year I’m going to not set a goal. That’s right- nothing to cross off or feel bad about not getting done because life got in the way. I decided that if there was something I was going accomplish, it was going to be summed up in one word thanks to a book I just read. The book is an easy to read that helps define your life. It's writing down various words that are meaningful to you, defining those words and then choosing to listen to that word and how it will help you in situations or challenge that come your way.

This year, my one word is Presence.
I’ve been so caught up in social media mostly because of this blog and realizing the importance it plays by having amazing followers like yourselves, but it can take away from what’s also important in my life; my friends and family members. I realize that of course blogging has become just more than a little place I write down fun things for you to laugh and share along with me, but I really want to make it more! Of course juggling that with a full time job, my family, friends and everything else can be tricky but I’m learning to prioritize those a bit more.

I’m realizing that Lily is turning TWO in a mere 3 ½ weeks and scary as it sounds, it really does go by in the blink of an eye. She’s learned so much this year and I want to be apart of all that she’s accomplished and still curious about the world around her. She won’t be this little for very long so I want to be as present as I can while she still wants to hang out with her cool ‘ol Mom.

So, if you are setting a goal this year, tell me what your goals are. I challenge you though to think of just one word that will help you make 2016 the best yet. What will your word be?


post signature

21 comments:

  1. Nice to meet you Cait! Best wishes for your 2016 goal. One thing that I do to be more "present" is my husband and I do an unplug night once a week. No devices, that's the only rule. Social media, tv, blogs and all that gets turned off intentionally and you have an evening (or day) of being present to chat, play games, cook, craft, anything just being together. It's surprisingly easy and fun. Try it, it might help you meet your goal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cait, thanks for clicking over to my blog. Love the look of your blog; I will be back!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. One word!?!? Ahhhh. This is so hard.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing goal- love it. Best of luck to you and so glad I found you back! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmm... I like this game but can't think of one word!!! Yours is great :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it!!! Such a great reminder that we only have our children for a little while! Looking forward to following your journey!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this! What book was it you read if you don't mind sharing? Sounds like one I would be interested in :) thanks so much for clicking over to my blog & commenting <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this! I am horrible at meeting goals I set for the year. I am really going to think about what I would like my word to be and what that word looks like for me and my family.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooh! What a great word! I think choosing a word for the year really helps simplify things and keeps you on track. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for checking out my blog and inviting me to yours! I will continue to follow! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this! I want to do it too. I noticed Shay is not setting goals, but to do list. I am going to follow your blog. Feel free to do same!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have seen a lot of people that I follow pick one word for the year. I really like yours and I know it is something I need to work on especially since starting my blog and trying to grow it using social media. Sometimes I need to remember to unplug and enjoy the moment. Best wishes for 2016!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great Kates/Caits think alike! Thanks for your comment over at the blog, I have really enjoyed doing the one word goal each year -- I feel like it is more achievable but can also be a life changer. Love your blog -- newest follower via Bloglovin'. PS- We are watching Making a Murderer right now too and it is CRAY. My husband and I were joking that if it were a Hollywood movie, it would be rejected for being too unbelievable!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm so inspired by this post. My daughter will turn two in about a week! (CRAZY) and I also feel the need to be more present. She loves the time we have together and I need to stop feeling like I have to have something planned in order to be present. She loves for me to just play and BE with her. Thanks for linking up with One Little Word. If you plan on sharing updates on your blog, we'll be linking up the first Monday of each month!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love focusing on "presence." That's so powerful, focusing on what we truly think is the most important in our lives. It can be applied to our lives in so many ways! I wish you all the best with taking time for your family and making all the important things come first even when it's tricky! Excited to get to know you more!

    ReplyDelete
  16. LOVE your word of the year! So powerful and so true! Excited to read all about your goals and get to know you more! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is my third year picking a word to focus on. I've found this works a lot better for me than any type of goal or resolution. Eventually, the word just becomes a part of my every day life. It is a less overwhelming concept for me.

    Thanks for linking up with Tuesday Talk!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the word you chose for the year and the reasons you chose it! I might try to think of a word for the...even if we are several days in!

    ReplyDelete
  19. i love your word. i find myself very distracted a lot of the time-especially by my phone. i was at dinner last night with some friends and at one point 3 of the 5 girls had their faces completely buried-not good.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is such a great one word. I love it! Thank you for sharing your heart!

    Sarah
    http://mybowsandclothes.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Back to Top